About Wilmington Youth Rowing Association
Mission: The mission of the Wilmington Youth Rowing Association is to promote physical, mental, and social wellness in young people of all social, racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds using the sport of rowing and related educational programs to instill essential lifelong values including responsibility, self-discipline, teamwork, leadership, commitment, and the pursuit of excellence.
WYRA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that introduces the sport of rowing to youth (ages 10-18) through after-school competitive and recreational programs, as well as a series of summer camps. WYRA is a nationally recognized club, and its competitive crews race locally, regionally, and nationally against school and other club programs. WYRA's rowers are from public, charter, private, home and parochial schools in Delaware, which encompass inner-city, suburban, and rural areas. Rowers from Eastern Maryland, Southeastern Pennsylvania, and Southern New Jersey are also participants in WYRA's programs.
WYRA continues to develop and deliver programs that:
- Give youth the confidence to see themselves in a positive way and the ability to envision a brighter future
- Provide youth with the team building and leadership skills that focus on positive outcomes
- Change attitudes toward diet and exercise in ways that provide lifelong health benefits
- Break barriers between socio-economic groups
- Build athleticism
- Leverage the sport of rowing in college and professionally
Recreation & Sports