Higher Ground outreach Inc is a 501 c3 nonprofit organization focused on improving the quality of life for the homeless and underserved citizens of Sussex County Delaware through the Whole Person Approach model. In November 2022 we moved into 12 East Pine St Georgetown after 1.5 years of working out of our car. Once in the new location we were able to add showers/laundry, support groups, daily meals, NA meetings, clothing, and hygiene products, along with goal planning, GED assessments and tests, College Placements, and much more. As of November 2023 we have 500 homeless and/or underserved in our system. We have given over $100,000 in assistance.
In late 2021 we had noticed a desperate need in our community for a safe daytime space for the homeless to heal and grow from their past, our homeless have no reliable day programs to adequately their unique mental, physical, and spiritual challenges.
We believe that creating and maintaining the Higher Ground House will fill that gap that many of the homeless and underserved find themselves falling in with other traditional federal and state programs. We have already rented the building and our focus is on maintaining our project at its current level or higher. Our objective for the next 12 months includes:
- · Maintaining operations at the Higher Ground House to serve 200+ homeless and or underserved in Sussex County.
- · Create and maintain peer support groups such as Anger Management, Grief and Loss, Conflict Resolution, NA and AA meetings to help elevate individuals to their full potential.
- Have 30% of our members working on their GED or Higher Education to open more doors for their future.
- Help 3% of our members (6) into stable permanent housing
- Help any who come to HGO House addicted seek treatment and fight for them to not be lost in the system.
- Become a Narcan Training Site and begin training the community on proper use of life saving Narcan.
- Create a Homeless Outreach Team (H.O.T) to reach out to encampments and share Sussex County Resources available.
We expect the yearly cost to run the Higher Ground House to be $80,000. We have received around 15% of our expected budget through both private and public donations. We have applied for funding through the Opioid Abatement and Remediation Grant Program and other local funding sources such as Walmart and Citizens Bank. This fundraiser would allow us to keep the doors open and allow us time to apply for more funding and government grants opportunities to help keep the Higher Ground House a bright, shining beacon of hope for many more homeless and addicted this year.
We are excited to move forward on the venture that we positively affect the lives of 500+ homeless and downtrodden individuals of Sussex County. We hope you will consider contributing and becoming our partner in our efforts to help the most vulnerable in our community. If you have any questions, please contact me at (302) 470-7497 or [email protected]
. We thank you for your time and consideration.